At Marketplace, Rob Schmitz reports police obstruction and intimidation in Chengdu, where he was...
pearl river delta
by Paulina Hartono | Jan 9, 2009
In recent months, the coastal region of Guangdong has been heavily hit by financial losses and factory closures that have resulted in social unrest. On Thursday, officials revealed new plans to give the region a much needed...
by Wu Nan | Feb 5, 2007
From Reuters: China has allowed access to Internet versions of two of Taiwan’s top daily newspapers after blocking them for years for fear they would spread anti-Communist propaganda, a Taiwan official said on Monday. Taiwan’s Mainland Affairs Council said that users in the populous Pearl River Delta and other parts of China over the past […]
by Michael Zhao | Nov 24, 2006
From BBC News: A leading Hong Kong think-tank has released the first study examining the likely impact of climate change on Hong Kong and the Pearl River delta. The Civic Exchange study concludes that even small water-level rises combined with extreme weather could cause flooding across the low-lying delta. The report suggests that flooding in […]
by Sophie Beach | May 4, 2005
From Asia Times: Since last year, the Guangzhou-centered Pearl River Delta (PRD), a dominant economic locomotive in China and a magnet for migrant workers in outlying regions, has been reporting a severe shortage of workers. Encouraged by the official ballyhoo of a steep pay rise, many have flocked into the region to try their luck. […]
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions