Following the collapse of a scaffolding platform that took the lives of 74 construction workers at...
by Anne Henochowicz | May 24, 2013
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Central Propaganda Department: Firmly rein in the degree of coverage of the Shenzhen Binhai power...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 22, 2013
Beijing’s acting mayor has announced an array of new measures to combat air pollution in the city, following heavy smog that seeped hundreds of points off the scale this month. From Xinhua: The capital will take 180,000...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 5, 2011
New research suggests that sulphur emissions from China’s coal-fuelled power stations have masked global warming in recent years. From The Guardian: The last decade was the hottest on record and the 10 warmest years have...
by Liu Yong | May 27, 2008
From Reuters: China’s nuclear power firms aim to join its auto and electronic companies as export powerhouses, analysts say, but massive domestic expansion plans may not leave them the capacity to make an overseas push for...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 14, 2005
From China Daily: The Zhejiang Provincial Development and Reform Commission is being sued over a plan to build a special power plant that uses rubbish as fuel. Nearly 300 farmers in Cangnan County have taken the commission to court because they say the power plant could cause environmental problems near their villages. They also say […]
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions