This week, NGO Safeguard Defenders released a report detailing the Chinese government’s systematic and covert practice of forcing “fugitives” to return to China from overseas. The report is titled “INvoluntary Returns,” in...
Feb 25, 2020
Swedish citizen Gui Minhai is one of the five booksellers and publishers associated with Hong Kong’s Mighty Current Media and Causeway Bay bookstore who were detained from abroad in 2015 to reappear in custody in China. The...
Jun 13, 2016
Since becoming China’s top leader more than three years ago, President Xi Jinping has vowed...
Jan 26, 2016
Since coming to power in 2012, the Xi administration has overseen a crackdown on civil...
Aug 17, 2015
The U.S. government has warned China about the presence of undercover Chinese agents working in...
Aug 14, 2007
From Reuters: Beijing repatriated 19 Taiwanese suspected of fraud, illegal entry and drug trafficking on Tuesday after the island sent two convicted aircraft hijackers back to China where they face new trials and possible execution. The swap was rare cooperation in crime fighting between Taiwan and China, diplomatic rivals since their split in 1949 amid […]
Jun 20, 2007
The Danwei group on Youtube interviews three young Chinese who were born in China, lived abroad for extensive periods, and are now back in China to work. The interviewees talk about all sorts of aspects of their adjustment experiences, including the differences in culture and expectations, as well as the labeling they face as “Chinese” […]
CDT in the News
- China Brief – Much Cause But Little Recourse For Popular Discontent
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) – Young people living in and outside China fight to keep spirit of ‘white paper’ protests alive
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)