As of November 22, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 13, 2011
Global Voices Online founder Rebecca MacKinnon spoke at the ongoing TEDGlobal conference about cultivating the “citizen-centric” evolution of the Internet. She argues that “the relationship between...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 29, 2011
In Forbes, Gady Epstein writes about the current controversy over Baidu’s Wenku (Library) service, which allows users to download copyrighted protected books: Baidu’s billionaire co-founder and CEO Robin Li, the richest...
by cdtstaff | Mar 9, 2011
According to Forbes’ annual ranking of the world’s wealthiest people, the booming economies of Russia, China, India and Brazil have resulted in the continual increase in the number of billionaires within each...
by sjia | May 2, 2009
According to powerapple.com, Baidu’s chief financial officer (CFO), Jennifer Li 李昕晢, recently divulged the inside story on Baidu’s presence in this year’s CCTV’s Spring Festival Evening (春节联欢晚会) in...
The man behind China’s answer to Google: accused by critics of piracy and censorship – Jonathan Watts
by Liu Yong | Dec 13, 2005
From Guardian Unlimited: He is the man who beat Google to dominate the world’s fastest-growing internet market, and he has done it by building a search engine with a distinctly Chinese character. Robin Li ‘s Baidu.com is a search engine that is weak on piracy and strong on censorship. It is very much in keeping […]
CDT in the News
- Human Rights Watch – Chinese Cyber Legend Vanishes, Raising Concerns
- PRI The World – Front row seat at China’s 100th anniversary celebrations
- Mind Matters – Chinese Communist Party: 100 Years of Erasing, Rewriting History
- The Jamestown Foundation – The 2021 Party History Study Campaign Stresses Revolution and Sacrifice
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’