The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. The name of the issuing body has been omitted to protect the source. Notice: From June 28 onward, all...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 17, 2020
Bloomberg’s Sharon Chen and Dandan Li provide an overview of recent changes to China’s hukou residency permit system, which for decades has tightly controlled citizens’ rights to settle and receive public...
by Josh Rudolph | Jul 18, 2019
At Inkstone News, Viola Zhou and Cissy Zhou report on a surge of sexist and racist online attacks of a “study buddy” program between foreign and domestic students at Shandong University: The buddy program at Shandong...
by Anne Henochowicz | Nov 27, 2013
Residents of Huangdao, the district of Qingdao where an oil pipeline explosion last Friday has...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”