Thirty years ago, Guan County, Shandong Province launched the “Hundred Childless Days” campaign under the aegis of national family planning, known in the West as the “one-child policy.” The birthplace of...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 3, 2020
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. The name of the issuing body has been omitted to protect the source. Notice: From June 28 onward, all...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 17, 2020
Bloomberg’s Sharon Chen and Dandan Li provide an overview of recent changes to China’s hukou residency permit system, which for decades has tightly controlled citizens’ rights to settle and receive public...
by Josh Rudolph | Jul 18, 2019
At Inkstone News, Viola Zhou and Cissy Zhou report on a surge of sexist and racist online attacks of a “study buddy” program between foreign and domestic students at Shandong University: The buddy program at Shandong...
by Anne Henochowicz | Nov 27, 2013
Residents of Huangdao, the district of Qingdao where an oil pipeline explosion last Friday has...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods