Thirty years ago, Guan County, Shandong Province launched the “Hundred Childless Days” campaign under the aegis of national family planning, known in the West as the “one-child policy.” The birthplace of...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 3, 2020
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. The name of the issuing body has been omitted to protect the source. Notice: From June 28 onward, all...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 17, 2020
Bloomberg’s Sharon Chen and Dandan Li provide an overview of recent changes to China’s hukou residency permit system, which for decades has tightly controlled citizens’ rights to settle and receive public...
by Josh Rudolph | Jul 18, 2019
At Inkstone News, Viola Zhou and Cissy Zhou report on a surge of sexist and racist online attacks of a “study buddy” program between foreign and domestic students at Shandong University: The buddy program at Shandong...
by Anne Henochowicz | Nov 27, 2013
Residents of Huangdao, the district of Qingdao where an oil pipeline explosion last Friday has...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions