Mimi Lau of the South China Morning Post reports that despite his reformist credentials, new Guangdong party chief Hu Chunhua has held his cards close to the vest while navigating a series of early tests: His low-profile, opaque...
by Anne Henochowicz | Mar 15, 2013
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Central Propaganda Department: Outsiders have entered and vandalized Shangpu Village in Mianhu Town,...
by Anne Henochowicz | Mar 10, 2013
As of March 8, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function). Standoff in Shangpu: Protests continue in the Guangdong village, where residents say as much as 33.33 hectars...
by Scott Greene | Mar 4, 2013
Police have set up a blockade around the Guangdong village of Shangpu, just 100 kilometers away from Wukan, after residents clashed with thugs they claim were sent by the local communist party chief in connection with a disputed...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods