A court in Shenzhen has handed prison sentences to ten Hong Kongers who were caught attempting to flee Hong Kong for Taiwan by boat in August 2020. Two others, who are underaged, were repatriated to Hong Kong on Wednesday, where...
by Joseph Brouwer | Oct 14, 2020
Xi Jinping’s speech on the 40th anniversary of the creation of the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone—the first of China’s market reform policy SEZs—outlined his vision for an increasingly domestically-oriented economy, better able...
by Anne Henochowicz | Jun 10, 2016
Video of a police officer verbally abusing two women on the drive to the police station has...
by Cindy | Dec 21, 2015
On Monday, rescue work continued at an industrial park in Shenzhen a day after a massive landslide...
by Josh Rudolph | Apr 3, 2014
Protests that began Sunday against a proposed paraxylene (PX) plant in Maoming, Guangdong...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”