Amid heated debate over PRC influence in Australia, the country’s edition of 60 Minutes...
by dwang | Jun 11, 2009
Bermuda has accepted four of the Uighurs imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay shortly after former U.S. territory Palau agreed to take all 17. From BBC: Four Chinese Muslim Uighurs have been released from the US detention centre at...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 10, 2009
The fate of the Uighurs detained at Guantanamo Bay has finally been decided. From the New York Times: The United States has won an agreement to transfer up to 17 Chinese Muslims from the prison camp at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, to...
by Michael Zhao | Apr 5, 2007
From BBC News (photo: China has Papua New Guinea and Fiji on its side in South Pacfic, via bbc.co.uk): China’s Vice-Premier Zeng Peiyan has completed a brief tour of the South Pacific, showing how important the region is to Beijing. China is competing with Taiwan for diplomatic recognition as well as access to vast reserves […]
by Xiao Qiang | Apr 2, 2006
From The Asia Times (link): Once considered the strategic domain of the United States and before that of Europe, the South Pacific is falling under the spell of China. As the US and its allies have gradually scaled back their involvement in the region since the early 1990s – closing embassies and reducing aid – […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods