Austin Ramzy and Philip Pan introduce The New York Times’ new Sinosphere blog with a look...
Dec 20, 2012
With the government cracking down on apocalypse rumors this week, rounding up members of an outlawed cult known as the Church of Almighty God, The New Yorker’s Evan Osnos explores the Communist Party’s uneasy...
Feb 10, 2012
The New York Times reviews a new book, Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China, the West, and the Epic Story of the Taiping Civil War, which looks at the Taiping Rebellion, one of the bloodiest periods of Chinese history, which is...
Dec 14, 2007
[Editor’s note; Josie Liu is a journalist from China who once worked for the South China Morning Post and other newspapers in Beijing. She currently writes the “China in Transition” blog and will also be guest blogging for CDT.] Hong Kong director Peter Ho-Sun Chan’s newly released movie, The Warlords, has generated not only tens […]
CDT in the News
- Turquoise Roof – Weaponising Big Data: Decoding China’s Digital Surveillance in Tibet
- VOA – Chinese Netizens Criticize Government on US Embassy’s Weibo Post
- China Global South Project – What Do Namibian Giraffes Have To Do With the Chinese Economy? Ask Weibo
- Washington Post – As falling stocks draw criticism in China, censors struggle to keep up
- NYT – China’s Censorship Dragnet Targets Critics of the Economy