Kyodo reports allegations of continuing labor abuses at four Chinese factories supplying Japanese...
by Josh Rudolph | Oct 3, 2013
In March, Danish toymaker Lego announced plans to build its first Chinese factory to help satisfy...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 29, 2011
Corporate responsibility organisation Sacom has accused a Shenzhen toy factory, whose customers include Disney, Mattel and Walmart, of labour abuses such as forced, excessive overtime and employment of underage workers. It also...
by cschultz | Feb 28, 2009
The China Daily reports that toy stocks in India have plummeted and prices have skyrocketed due to India’s ban of China-made toys: Indian toy dealers are running out of stocks of toys and prices of toys have soared by 30...
by Xiao Qiang | Dec 26, 2008
Barbara Demick reports for the LA Times, from Dongguan, China: Growing up in the Chinese countryside with only an elementary school education, Yang Yanjun had never heard of Christmas until she landed a job painting pink-cheeked...
by Morgan Figuers | Jun 18, 2007
As China’s share of the U.S. toy market has grown, so have the number of “made-in-China” toys that have had to have been recalled for safety hazards. From the New York Times: China manufactured every one of the 24 kinds of toys recalled for safety reasons in the United States so far this year, including […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods