Following the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol last week, Chinese state media quickly propagated the “American chaos” in celebratory fashion. As major U.S. social media platforms banned President Trump’s...
by Sheri Martin | Sep 28, 2008
The LA Times recently ran a story explaining that for some Chinese the US presidential elections seem like a huge waste of money. Here is an interesting op-ed by Southern Weekly columnist Liu Yu defending the expensive process....
by Sheri Martin | Sep 12, 2008
The Global Times reprinted a story from the Los Angeles Times with some interesting omissions. The original title ran “China watches U.S. elections with bemusement.” The Global Times version translates it as “American Media:...
by Sophie Beach | Sep 6, 2008
The Los Angeles Times reports on Chinese coverage of the U.S. election: To the Chinese, who are spared by the one-party communist system such complications as an electoral college and party caucuses, the spectacle unfolding in...
by Sheri Martin | Sep 4, 2008
The Global Times, the tabloid sister of the People’s Daily that focuses on international news and analysis, discusses the significance of US elections to Chinese people and makes the case that Chinese elites go Democratic....
by Sophie Beach | Nov 29, 2005
From the Washington Post: The president’s just-concluded Asian trip bore signs that his devotion to democracy is beginning to shape American strategy beyond the “greater Middle East,” calling into question the policy of economic engagement and the belief in the democratizing power of free trade that Washington has followed up until now. And military preparations […]
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions