NBA basketball player turned Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference delegate Yao Ming...
by Anne Henochowicz | Mar 11, 2013
China’s once-in-a-decade leadership transition is underway at the “Two Sessions,” the annual convening of the National People’s Congress (NPC) and the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC). CDT has collected...
by Melissa M. Chan | Feb 21, 2012
With the recent uproar about the inhumane practices of harvesting bear bile, celebrities, such as Yao Ming, have begun to speak out against animal cruelty. Animal welfare groups claim that this support from celebrities...
by Sophie Beach | Oct 13, 2011
Shark’s fin soup has long been considered a delicacy in Chinese communities around the world, served for special occasions and for honored guests. Yet the practice of cutting off the fin of live sharks and then throwing...
by Sophie Beach | Jul 19, 2011
With Yao Ming set to announce his retirement from the NBA tomorrow, China is set to lose its largest (and tallest) international sports star. The New York Times reports: For nearly a decade, China has been enthralled by the cult...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”