NBA basketball player turned Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference delegate Yao Ming...
by Anne Henochowicz | Mar 11, 2013
China’s once-in-a-decade leadership transition is underway at the “Two Sessions,” the annual convening of the National People’s Congress (NPC) and the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC). CDT has collected...
by Melissa M. Chan | Feb 21, 2012
With the recent uproar about the inhumane practices of harvesting bear bile, celebrities, such as Yao Ming, have begun to speak out against animal cruelty. Animal welfare groups claim that this support from celebrities...
by Sophie Beach | Oct 13, 2011
Shark’s fin soup has long been considered a delicacy in Chinese communities around the world, served for special occasions and for honored guests. Yet the practice of cutting off the fin of live sharks and then throwing...
by Sophie Beach | Jul 19, 2011
With Yao Ming set to announce his retirement from the NBA tomorrow, China is set to lose its largest (and tallest) international sports star. The New York Times reports: For nearly a decade, China has been enthralled by the cult...
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms