Youths in their teens and early twenties make up a significant proportion of the protesters in Hong Kong. Living regular lives on weekdays and donning protest gear to attend rallies on weekends has become the new routine for the...
by lisbeth | Aug 15, 2017
China’s population of internet users broke 700 million this year, and government reports...
by Samuel Wade | Nov 1, 2012
While the rise of consumerism in China continues to attract attention, Monica Tan turns to the backlash against it. From Tea Leaf Nation: It’s happened all over the world, and it’s happening in China too. As the country’s middle...
by Sophie Beach | Dec 9, 2011
New York-based artist and musician Jie-Song Zhang is writing a series of blog posts and photo galleries for National Geographic exploring the underground hip-hop movement and youth culture in China. From the first installment:...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions