With the 3rd Plenum of the 18th CCP Congress less than month away, Yu Zhengsheng, the No.4 member...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 10, 2013
An article by a Central Party School scholar and reports of experimental concessions in some Tibetan areas have recently given rise to hopes that China might adopt a softer line towards the Dalai Lama. But after police allegedly...
by Scott Greene | Jul 2, 2013
Days of unrest in several areas of Xinjiang prompted Chinese officials to order a 24-hour military patrol in some parts of the region over the weekend, with authorities confirming that police even fired shots at a large crowd of...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 18, 2012
Senior staff at two major newspapers have been transferred or suspended this week, prompting widespread but unconfirmed speculation about political motivations. From Louise Ho at the South China Morning Post: Lu Yan, publisher...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 27, 2011
One train on Shanghai Metro’s problem-plagued Line 10 apparently ran into another as it waited at a station. Over 200 were injured, three (update: around 20) seriously, but no fatalities have been reported. Signal failure...
by Liu Yong | Oct 27, 2007
From Xinhua: Xi Jinping no longer serves concurrently as the Party secretary of the Shanghai Municipal Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC). The post is now held by Yu Zhengsheng, according to the CPC Central Committee. Xi Jinping has been elected a member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods