As of September 7, the following search terms are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for user” function):
Hong Kong Protests: Demonstrations continue against the introduction of a new patriotic curriculum.
- national education (国民教育)
- national education course (国教科): Abbreviation of the same term (国民教育科).
- central government offices (政府总部): Headquarters of the Hong Kong government.
- central government offices (政总): Abbreviation.
- student strike (罢课)
- Leung Chun-ying (梁振英): Re-tested; first found blocked September 1.
- Scholarism (学民思潮): Re-tested; first found blocked September 1. Hong Kong student organization which opposes the patriotic curriculum.
- Fish Veggie Chicken (鱼素鸡): Pronounced yú sùjī, this sounds similar to the Shanghainese pronunciation of Yú Shūjì, Secretary Yu. There is speculation that Shanghai Party Secretary Yu Zhengsheng (俞正声) will be tapped for the Politburo Standing Committee in the October leadership transition. (Suji is a fake chicken dish made from soy beans.)
Note: All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information. To add words, check out the form at the bottom of CDT Chinese’s latest sensitive words post.