Dr. Li Wenliang’s death on February 7, 2020 resulted in an unprecedented spontaneous outpouring of grief on China’s social media. The young ophthalmologist was widely identified as one of eight whistleblowers punished for...
by John Chan | Feb 4, 2021
China’s internet watchdog has announced new rules designed to crack down on “self-media” accounts, the social media accounts of independent citizen journalists and content creators that have flourished on...
by Cindy | Oct 9, 2019
On October 8, Cover News launched a survey questionnaire on Weibo asking for readers’ take...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 13, 2017
A new report from the University of Toronto’s Citizen Lab probes censorship on Tencent’s WeChat...
by Cindy | Mar 4, 2017
The official Sina Weibo account of prominent Chinese feminist group Feminist Voice (女权之声) has been...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods