This post was co-authored with Samuel Wade. The approach of the 30th anniversary of the 1989...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 8, 2019
Recent months have seen a spate of detentions and interrogations of Twitter users within China,...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 15, 2017
On December 23, outgoing U.S. president Barack Obama signed the Global Magnitsky Human Rights...
by Josh Rudolph | Jun 20, 2014
As of June 20, the following search terms are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for...
by Samuel Wade | Jun 5, 2014
The weeks leading up to the 25th anniversary of the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown on Wednesday were marked by an unprecedented campaign of detentions, house arrests, forced or restricted travel, intimidation and surveillance. Those...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”