April 9, 2015 6:31 PM
1989 protests activists Ai Weiwei art book reviews Bo Xilai CCP CCTV censorship China's rise Cultural Revolution Dalai Lama democracy diplomacy economic growth education foreign correspondents foreigners in China government corruption history Hu Jintao June 4th Mao Zedong military Ministry of Truth nationalism Netizen Voices North Korea one-child policy online public opinion People's Liberation Army photos political prisoners political reform propaganda protests Shanghai Sichuan sina weibo social unrest Tiananmen Square Tibet transparency U.S. relations Uyghurs videos wealth gap writers Xi Jinping Xinjiang
April 5, 2015 10:31 PM
After candid cellphone footage showed star CCTV anchor Bi Fujian mocking Chairman Mao in a comic rendition of the song “We are Worker and
At The Telegraph, Tom Phillip’s takes a look at novelist Yan Lianke’s most recent work, set during the Great Famine of Mao’s
March 27, 2015 6:13 PM
In effort to safeguard Party legitimacy, official history glosses over much of the brutality of the Cultural Revolution—much in the same
March 12, 2015 5:51 PM
- Writer Tie Liu Given Suspended Sentence
- ‘Negatives': Art Book or Protest?
- Former Propaganda Chief Deng Liqun Dies
- Mourners Mark Anniversary of Zhao Ziyang̵...
- Cultural Revolution Remembrance and Apologies
- China’s Brave Underground Journal
- Son of Church Founder Tackles Thorny Legacy
- Deng Xiaoping TV Drama Viewing Parties for Ca...
- Defying Censors to Reveal Horrors of the Grea...
- Tiananmen 25: “We Can’t Afford An...
- Tiananmen 25: Background Reading
- Ambition and Amnesia in the New China
- 25 Years Ago: Li Peng “Come Out! Come O...
- 25 Years Ago: Students March for Democracy
- China After Tiananmen: Money, Yes; Ideas, No
- Tibetan Communist Leader Phuntso Wangye Dies
- Slideshow: Life on a People’s Commune, ...
- Red Guards Apologize, Reopening A Dark Chapte...