Patient of Epilepsy Died 10 years After Hospital Negligence – Health Times

From the Health Times via People's Daily (link), translated by CDT (All names in the story are not real):

Lin Hui, 29 when he died last year, hit his head 11 years ago against an electricity pole and picked up a slight form of epilepsy. A year later, Lin lost his sight one day while watching TV.

Then an overdose of nearly 15 times of radiation than allowed maximum during a gamma-ray operation at a hospital devastated Lin's health and brought ten years of suffering to him and his family, who had spent more than 7 million yuan ($880,000) on medical bills, nursery care and other expenses related to the son's treatment over the ten years.

With only a letter of apology, the hospital failed to keep their promise to help the family defray the total cost. The family has received letters of sympathy from friends over the Internet, many of whom have similar experiences with the hospital.

Liu Fen, the mother, traveled all around the country to seek medical help to treat her son but none of these efforts helped much.

Then an ad about the Wanjie Hospital in Zibo, Shandong Province, caught the family's attention. The mother learned more about the hospital's promise of its advanced Positron Emission Tomography (PET) technology and soon decided to give a shot for her son.

After seeing too many doctors without success, the son wanted to give up. "Don't get me treated any more, or I will be killed with all the treatments," pleaded the son to the mother. The words now frequently haunt the mother, who regrets of sending her son into the operation room at Wanjie Hospital.

Liu observed many patients coming out of the hospital all well. And the business at the hospital was booming.

One month after Lin went out of the hospital gamma operation, he suddenly vehemently threw up one morning and his whole body started twitching constantly. Then came fever, more shivering, and a weight loss of more than 40 pounds. He had to be nose-fed and needed dozens of sleeping pills to be calmed down during fits of illness.

The mother learned from consulting doctors and experts in Beijing and elsewhere that her son was having an extreme form of epilepsy.

Over the ten years, the family put all the resources available into taking care of the son, for whom they built a nursery house and hired four people patient-sitting around the clock with the help of nurses from the hospital, where the son had the operation.

The deputy director of the hospital admitted their mistake for the radiation overdosing in the operation. They promised to come up with the costs the family had to pay over the ten years before the son died last year. But the hospital then said they were short of funds. No payment came through since.

Categories :

Tags :,

SUPPORT CDT

CDT on Twitter

Google Ads 1

CDT EBOOKS

Giving Assistant

Amazon Smile

Google Ads 2

Anti-censorship Tools

Life Without Walls

Click on the image to download Firefly for circumvention

Open popup
X

Welcome back!

CDT is a non-profit media site, and we need your support. Your contribution will help us provide more translations, breaking news, and other content you love.