As of August 9, the following search terms related to Gu Kailai, Bo Xilai and Wang Lijun are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for user” function):
- Hefei + court (合肥+法院)
- open court session (开庭)
- try [a case] (审理)
- kill with poison (毒杀)
- Fan Chengxiu (范承秀): Gu’s mother.
- bo+guagua: Gu’s son, Bo Guagua.
- consulate (领馆)
Re-tested Words: Some of the terms below were also censored in April.
- Bo (薄)
- Kailai (开来)
- GKL: Pinyin abbreviation for Gu Kailai.
- Guagua (瓜瓜)
- Neil (尼尔): Neil Heywood.
- British + businessman (英国+商人)
- British + maid (英国+保姆)
- head nurse (护士长)
- Wang Lijuan (王丽娟): Sounds like Wang Lijun.
- Energetic Wang (大力王)
- isolated incident (孤立事件): The CCP refers to the Wang Lijun scandal as an “isolated incident.”
Note: All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information. To add words, check out the form at the bottom of CDT Chinese’s latest sensitive words post.