After a bus crash that left 11 schoolchildren dead in Jiangxi, another accident involving an overloaded minibus killed ten people, five of whom were children, from The South China Morning Post:
At least 10 people, including five children, died when their overloaded minibus plunged into a mountain valley in southern China on Friday, state media reported, the latest in a string of such accidents which have sparked public anger.
The nine-seat vehicle was carrying 20 people when it ran off the road in Guangxi region, the official Xinhua news agency reported. Ten survived, including a three-month-old infant who was in critical condition, it added.
The deaths of 18 nursery school children in a bus crash in November last year caused a wave of fury and prompted Premier Wen Jiabao to pledge more money for rural bus services, especially for those carrying children.
Chinese state media reports aside from the ten killed, another ten have been injured, according to Xinhua:
The 10 injured are receiving treatment, including a three-month-old infant who is in critical condition, the spokesman said.
The infant’s mother, 24-year-old Wei Yuefang, said she and her family were in the minibus heading for the home village of Bahaotun in Qibainong township to attend a wedding.
She said she was carrying her sleeping daughter when the accident happened, adding that they were thrown out of the vehicle while it was falling into the valley.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.