This week’s Economist looks at the global growth of facial recognition technology, of which...
by Melissa M. Chan | Dec 30, 2012
After a bus crash that left 11 schoolchildren dead in Jiangxi, another accident involving an overloaded minibus killed ten people, five of whom were children, from The South China Morning Post: At least 10 people, including five...
by Samuel Wade | Oct 15, 2012
China Real Time Report has posted a survivor’s account of the October 1st Hong Kong ferry disaster, in which 39 people died. Ms. Cheng and her husband, Mr. Lui, 43, an employee at Hongkong Electric Co. for more than 10...
by Sophie Beach | Nov 29, 2011
Chinese netizens expressed sadness and anger when a school bus in rural Gansu crashed, killing 20 people aboard including 18 children. The bus had nine seats but was carrying 64 people. Since then, the head of the school...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods