For centuries, macaque monkeys have been a ubiquitous entertainment fixture in Chinese cities,...
by Samuel Wade | Oct 8, 2014
China’s central role in the global black market in ivory and other wildlife products has...
by Kate Zhao | Jul 10, 2007
From Associated Press: Chinese cat lovers mobilized online to save a truck load of cats from the cooking pot, a newspaper reported Tuesday. Veteran Shanghai cat rescuer Duo Zirong started off her mission Friday when she called police to stop a truck stuffed with some 800 live cats, the China Daily said. The standoff happened […]
by Sophia Cao | Mar 3, 2007
From China Daily: Experts have warned of environmental pollution from increased animal husbandry, as the country became the world’s top meat and egg producer last year. “Domestic animal and poultry waste has become a major source of environmental pollution,” Oriental Outlook Weekly quoted Wu Weixiang, associate professor with Zhejiang University‘s College of Agriculture, as saying […]
by Sophie Beach | Jul 17, 2005
From China Daily: More male Asian elephants in China will be born without tusks because poaching of tusked elephants is reducing the gene pool, a recent study predicts. Research by Zhang Li, an associate professor of zoology with the college of life sciences at Beijing Normal University, discovered that the gene for tusklessness is spreading […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China