TripAdvisor China, along with 104 other applications, has been banned in China as part of a sweeping internet “cleanup.” It is unclear why the travel company, a joint partnership between Massachusetts-based TripAdivsor and...
by Cindy | Jun 16, 2015
2015 has seen a wave of strikes and protests by Chinese taxi drivers, including one incident in...
by Samuel Wade | Oct 11, 2011
For China residents not content to judge from the frequency and density of their own coughing, Greenpeace is compiling sources of real-time air quality data across the country and beyond: With the rise of China’s middle...
An official of the State Forestry Bureau tells the truth about APP’s forest destruction in Yunnan – Xinhua
by Sophie Beach | Sep 1, 2005
From Sinopolis.com, here is a translated summary of a Xinhua article: Zhang Songdan, an official of the investigative group of the State Forestry Bureau, says in an interview Jan. 19 that the problem of APP’s forest destruction in Yunnan really exists. He says they found local governments, such as the Zhuang-Miao Autonomous Prefecture of Wenshan […]
by Sophie Beach | Aug 8, 2005
From Asia Times: Singapore-based Asia Pulp and Paper (APP), part of Indonesia’s Sinar Mas Group, has been accused of illegal logging of natural forest in southwest China’s Yunnan province. The alleged deforestation was done as part of a vast wood-for-paper project, in which APP and the Yunnan government are cooperating. The project area covers almost […]
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms