While China’s environmental crisis has increasingly been a focus of popular discontent in...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 16, 2009
ABC News profiles Yu Qun, the mayor of Baoding, Hebei, who is aiming to make his city a center for renewable energy: Baoding is an ancient city, but its outskirts have an unsettled feel. Between serried ranks of high-rise...
by Paulina Hartono | Apr 4, 2009
AFP reports on the grievances of workers from Baoding: More than 1,000 workers were prevented Friday from marching 140 kilometres (90 miles) to Beijing from the city of Baoding to protest the closure of their textile factory....
by Wu Nan | Dec 30, 2006
From AP: A senior official in China’s state-sanctioned Catholic church on Saturday denied his association was cracking down on churches loyal to the Vatican following an unconfirmed media report that nine priests were arrested this week. AsiaNews, a missionary news service close to the Vatican, reported Friday that nine priests from the underground Catholic church […]
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions