Once fêted at home and abroad as an emblem of China’s rising power, Alibaba has fallen on hard times. Spin-off Ant Group’s IPO was blocked at the eleventh hour by Xi Jinping’s personal fiat. Founder Jack Ma has all but...
by Joseph Brouwer | Jul 27, 2021
At least 63 are dead after intense flooding in Henan. Over 160,000 first responders have been sent to Henan to aid rescue and recovery efforts. Although the crisis is not yet over, the machinery of the state is already...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 8, 2016
Authorities in Shanghai have recently cracked down on rumors of tightening real estate...
by Scott Greene | Mar 19, 2012
As China’s online population of netizens continues to grow, NPR reports that Chinese cartoonists have used the web as a platform to take aim at the Communist Party as never before: Political cartoons have emerged over the...
CDT in the News
- Mind Matters – #WhereIsPengShuai: China’s Star Tennis Player Went Missing
- The New York Times – China’s Silence on Peng Shuai Shows the Limits of Beijing’s Propaganda
- The Hindu – What happened to Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai?
- Vice – How China Managed to Wipe Out All Mentions of Its Most Explosive #MeToo Case
- WSJ – China’s Response to Peng Shuai Allegations Follows Familiar Pattern