In a two-part story at South China Morning Post, Minnie Chan describes a Hong Kong...
Jul 11, 2013
Al Jazeera’s Witness this week features a documentary about gambling addicts in Hong Kong. High/Low follows two Hong Kong locals who have lost money, pride, and the trust of loved ones around them. Michael, an older man, lost...
May 30, 2011
Having been decommissioned in March due to defence cuts, Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal may become a floating casino off Hong Kong, according to The Sun: Defence chiefs are said to be considering the proposal of...
Apr 12, 2011
The recent detention of blackjack master Ai Weiwei has uncovered his secret life as an artist and activist. From BlackjackChamp.com: Vinnie, who prefers to be called ‘Snake Eyes’ is a troglodyte faced mountain of...
Aug 29, 2007
From the Wall Street Journal: The Venetian resort and casino that opened here yesterday offers the same faux canals and Italian gondoliers that American visitors can find in the Las Vegas original. But the Chinese touches at the opening ceremony made it clear that this $2.4 billion Venetian was built for a very different audience. […]
CDT in the News
- Turquoise Roof – Weaponising Big Data: Decoding China’s Digital Surveillance in Tibet
- VOA – Chinese Netizens Criticize Government on US Embassy’s Weibo Post
- China Global South Project – What Do Namibian Giraffes Have To Do With the Chinese Economy? Ask Weibo
- Washington Post – As falling stocks draw criticism in China, censors struggle to keep up
- NYT – China’s Censorship Dragnet Targets Critics of the Economy