While Americans eat nearly twice as much meat individually as their Chinese counterparts every...
Aug 4, 2013
Li Jing at The South China Morning Post reports on a United Nations Environment Program study on China’s resource consumption. The study finds that the speed and scale of resource consumption in the past 38 years in China has no...
Jul 16, 2013
On his personal blog, Jonah Kessel writes about the making of his three-part video project ‘China’s Consuming Billion’, which accompanies the second installment of The New York Times’ latest series on China, ‘Leaving...
Sep 9, 2011
In a recent Letter from China, Evan Osnos recalled Japan’s excesses in the late 1980s, and wondered whether a Chinese tycoon’s attempt to buy a large swathe of north-eastern Iceland might mark a similar pre-crash...
Aug 2, 2010
From The Local: Audi is targeting sales of “more than 200,000 units in 2010” in China and “around 300,000 in 2012,” sales chief Peter Schwarzenbauer told a telephone news conference. Last year, Audi sold...
Jan 8, 2006
From The Star: A third consumption boom is in full swing in China, as consumers there loosened their purse strings, spurred by Government measures to boost their disposable incomes. Shanghai folks went on a shopping spree during the three-day New Year break. In those three days, residents and visitors to Shanghai spent 1.6 billion yuan […]
CDT in the News
- China Brief – Much Cause But Little Recourse For Popular Discontent
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) – Young people living in and outside China fight to keep spirit of ‘white paper’ protests alive
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)