About 20 minutes of audio in which a retired Central Party School professor sternly criticizes the state of the Party under Xi Jinping, and declares the current system beyond repair, circulated widely online earlier this month....
by Josh Rudolph | Apr 9, 2015
After candid cellphone footage showed star CCTV anchor Bi Fujian mocking Chairman Mao in a comic...
by Sophie Beach | Feb 7, 2013
Recent comments by incoming president Xi Jinping, in which he said the Party should tolerate “sharp criticism,” have drawn a lot of interest on Weibo and elsewhere. While the comments appear to show a kinder and...
by Paulina Hartono | Oct 23, 2009
Roland Soong of ESWN translates a blog post by Guangzhou-based blogger and online novelist Yang Hengjun on the importance of having a critical eye towards the media and China: With the Internet, the Chinese people have a...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China