About 20 minutes of audio in which a retired Central Party School professor sternly criticizes the state of the Party under Xi Jinping, and declares the current system beyond repair, circulated widely online earlier this month....
by Josh Rudolph | Apr 9, 2015
After candid cellphone footage showed star CCTV anchor Bi Fujian mocking Chairman Mao in a comic...
by Sophie Beach | Feb 7, 2013
Recent comments by incoming president Xi Jinping, in which he said the Party should tolerate “sharp criticism,” have drawn a lot of interest on Weibo and elsewhere. While the comments appear to show a kinder and...
by Paulina Hartono | Oct 23, 2009
Roland Soong of ESWN translates a blog post by Guangzhou-based blogger and online novelist Yang Hengjun on the importance of having a critical eye towards the media and China: With the Internet, the Chinese people have a...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods