The recent announcement of further proposed reductions in the scope of the death penalty was...
Apr 4, 2012
Xu Ming, founder and chairman of the Dalian Shide Group and one of China’s richest people, has been detained. Xu has been linked to Bo Xilai, the recently dismissed former party chief of Chongqing and former Dalian mayor....
Dec 28, 2010
After discovering that more than $3 billion in public funds has been misappropriated to unauthorized departments, the Chinese government has also announced that 580 individuals suspected of economic crimes have fled the country...
Aug 6, 2009
AP reports on the execution of two business people who defrauded investors out of more than $127 million: China’s highest court said the fraud had “seriously damaged the country’s financial regulatory order and...
Oct 18, 2008
From Reuters: China has jailed five people for their part in running an illegal currency exchange business that handled billions of yuan in swaps between Hong Kong and the country’s south, state media reported Saturday....
Dec 14, 2006
From xinhua via People’s Daily: China’s police authorities disposed more than 400,000 economic crimes over the past seven years, arresting about 370,000 criminal suspects and recovering 100 billion yuan. The figures were released at an ongoing national symposium on economic crime. Zheng Shaodong, assistant Minister of Public Security, said at the symposium that world economic […]
CDT in the News
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos
- The Guardian – Chinese state media censors itself after highlighting poem about corrupt leaders
- ASPI Daily Tech and Cyber Digest – Meta’s ‘biggest single takedown’ removes Chinese influence campaign | Japan’s cyber security agency suffers months-long breach | FBI, partners dismantle Qakbot infrastructure
- Atlantic Council – Chinese discourse power: Capabilities and impact
- VOA – Chinese Social Media Platforms Fail to Control Racism Against Black People: Report