After decades of a nearly laissez-faire approach to tech regulation—stringent censorship measures aside—Chinese authorities have stepped up their scrutiny of the country’s internet giants. Regulators have cast a wide net...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 5, 2018
The New York Times’ Raymond Zhong reported this week on a popular news, blog, and...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 15, 2013
As online regulation tightens, Paul Mozur and Carlos Tejada report on its growing toll on foreign businesses in China. From The Wall Street Journal: Fredrik Bergman ran into a problem when a client in Sweden tried to transfer...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions