After decades of a nearly laissez-faire approach to tech regulation—stringent censorship measures aside—Chinese authorities have stepped up their scrutiny of the country’s internet giants. Regulators have cast a wide net...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 5, 2018
The New York Times’ Raymond Zhong reported this week on a popular news, blog, and...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 15, 2013
As online regulation tightens, Paul Mozur and Carlos Tejada report on its growing toll on foreign businesses in China. From The Wall Street Journal: Fredrik Bergman ran into a problem when a client in Sweden tried to transfer...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods