During the recent resurgence of COVID-19 in Xinjiang, self-media photojournalist Zhang Xinmen documented the situation in Karamay, the northern Xinjiang city where he lives. On his WeChat public account, Zhang posted a photo...
by Josh Rudolph | Jul 2, 2015
As mounting violence in recent years has led to an ongoing security crackdown in Xinjiang, the...
by Anne Henochowicz | Dec 17, 2012
Chinese officialdom has been rocked by a half-dozen sex scandals in the past three weeks alone. The wave may signal that Xi Jinping is staying true to his promise to crack down on corruption. Is this correlation, or causation?...
by Anne Henochowicz | Nov 14, 2012
In partnership with the China Copyright and Media blog, CDT is adding the “Beijing Internet...
by Michael Zhao | Nov 26, 2007
The following interview with the former CCTV president Yang Weiguang was originally published in the Guangzhou-based Southern Weekend, to mark Chinese Journalists Day. The segment below, translated by CDT, is about his gagging...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods