During the recent resurgence of COVID-19 in Xinjiang, self-media photojournalist Zhang Xinmen documented the situation in Karamay, the northern Xinjiang city where he lives. On his WeChat public account, Zhang posted a photo...
by Josh Rudolph | Jul 2, 2015
As mounting violence in recent years has led to an ongoing security crackdown in Xinjiang, the...
by Anne Henochowicz | Dec 17, 2012
Chinese officialdom has been rocked by a half-dozen sex scandals in the past three weeks alone. The wave may signal that Xi Jinping is staying true to his promise to crack down on corruption. Is this correlation, or causation?...
by Anne Henochowicz | Nov 14, 2012
In partnership with the China Copyright and Media blog, CDT is adding the “Beijing Internet...
by Michael Zhao | Nov 26, 2007
The following interview with the former CCTV president Yang Weiguang was originally published in the Guangzhou-based Southern Weekend, to mark Chinese Journalists Day. The segment below, translated by CDT, is about his gagging...
CDT in the News
- VOA – China Media Directives Reveal Granular Detail of State Censorship
- The Jamestown Foundation – Early Warning Brief: Factional Strife Intensifies as Xi Strives to Consolidate Power
- Politico – China’s crypto ban fuels new U.S. wedge issue
- RFA – Meng Wanzhou Arrest, Return Used as Patriotic Talking Point in Chinese Schools
- Colombo Gazette – Digital autocracy in China: An appraisal