A gossipy breakup scandal became an internet-wide debate about the morality of surrogacy after it was revealed that a former celebrity couple secretly begat children through surrogacy in the United States. Producer Zhang Heng...
by Joseph Brouwer | Oct 28, 2020
Although homosexuality was decriminalized in 1997 and delisted as a psychiatric disorder in 2001, the Chinese LGBTQ+ community continues to face discrimination and marginalization from both the Chinese state and Chinese society....
by Josh Rudolph | May 23, 2018
After recent moves by authorities to push back against the growing visibility of LGBT groups in the media, China’s LGBT rights advocates tread incredibly cautiously in organizing activities to observe this year’s...
by Josh Rudolph | May 24, 2017
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 14, 2016
On Sunday, The New York Times published an interview with Peter Dahlin, the Swedish legal NGO head...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”