The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. The name of the issuing body has been omitted to protect the source. In accordance with unified...
Aug 3, 2015
The abbot of Henan’s Shaolin Monastery, the Chan Buddhist institution famous for being the...
Sep 15, 2013
China has seen a series of bloody incidents in recent years, most recently including a string of...
Sep 14, 2011
Film star Jet Li’s planned promotion of Tai Chi around the world, backed by Chinese Internet entrepreneur Jack Ma, is no mere business venture. Rather, it is an heroic attempt to boost China’s currently feeble...
Jan 27, 2009
From AP: Liang Yusheng, a pioneer in Chinese martial arts novels, has died, news reports said. He was 85. Liang died at his home in Sydney, Australia on Jan. 22, the Australian edition of the Hong Kong newspaper Sing Tao Daily...
Apr 21, 2008
‘The Forbidden Kingdom’ (功夫之王), the first collaboration between martial arts film legends Jet Li and Jackie Chan, appears to have a set a new record for a “Chinese” film. From Hollywood Today: It was the...
Aug 11, 2007
Think China’s art of the fake reached its height with fake eggs? Think again. From the BBC: The Chinese authorities say they have foiled a plot to smuggle immigrants abroad disguised as martial arts performers from the Shaolin Temple. Twelve young men were trained in traditional lion dancing and given fake passports before joining real […]
CDT in the News
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)
- Sinocism – 2023 Weekly Discussion Thread #36: Xi in San Francisco; TikTok
- Libération CheckNews – Baidu et Alibaba, les deux géants chinois du Web, ont-ils remplacé Israël par la Palestine sur leurs cartes ?