Liu Li has been petitioning for over a decade on behalf of her father, who suffered an injury at work in 2009. As a result, she has suffered reprisals including a conviction for “disrupting social order,” incarceration at the...
by Grace | Nov 7, 2013
Despite talks to abolish China’s re-education through labor or laojiao system, Xi...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 17, 2013
Following a court judgment on Monday awarding damages for her wrongful incarceration in a re-education through labor camp, “petitioning mother” Tang Hui has traveled to Beijing to pursue compensation for her...
by Anne Henochowicz | Apr 10, 2013
As of April 10, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function). • Masanjia Women’s Labor Re-education Camp (马三家女子劳教所): An investigative report on the camp, which exposes...
by Anne Henochowicz | Apr 9, 2013
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Central Propaganda Department: Without exception, do not reuse, report, or comment on the article...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods