The number of prosecutions under Xi Jinping’s signature anti-corruption campaign fell last year...
by Cindy | Sep 6, 2013
At CNN World, professor of government Minxin Pei discusses China’s economic outlook and...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 24, 2012
The Aspen Institute has posted the full video of a debate from its Ideas Festival, which ran from June 27th and July 3rd. The discussion pitched venture capitalist Eric X. Li against professor of government Minxin Pei on the...
by Paulina Hartono | Dec 8, 2009
Minxin Pei, Tom and Margot Pritzker ’72 professor of government at Claremont McKenna College, doubts the experts who have called this the Chinese century. From Newsweek: Conventional wisdom can be devilishly hard to dispute. For...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 7, 2009
An opinion piece in the Financial Times looks at the possible link between a country’s level of freedom and rates of consumption as a way to explain China’s failure to stimulate consumer spending: Why has the...
by Xiao Qiang | Mar 21, 2009
From the Foreign Affairs: Until recently, most leading China watchers thought the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) had become remarkably resilient. Through learning and adaptation, it seemed, the world’s largest and most...
by Liu Yong | May 28, 2006
From Weekly Standard (link): A MAN WALKS INTO A BAR. At first, he finds nothing unusual about the noisy, convivial atmosphere, but then he realizes something is a little different. Numbers are being called out, one at a time, eliciting laughter from the patrons. “Seventeen,” says one man. Laughter. “Fifty-six,” another says, to great amusement. […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China