Sensitive Words highlights keywords that are blocked from Sina Weibo search results. CDT...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 7, 2011
Author Ma Jian tells The Wall Street Journal which five writers he’d most like to meet: Franz Kafka “To me, Kafka is the most alive of dead writers, no doubt because of his acute understanding of the modern...
by Xiao Qiang | Apr 29, 2007
TIME magazine Beijing correspondent Simon Elegant noticed something in common in the following two pictures: Is it just us or does the just-released design of the Olympic Torch look amazingly like….. Jingubang (ÈáëÁÆçÊ£í), the magic cudgel carried by the legendary Sun Wukong, Sage of Emptiness and Monkey King?Jodi Xu of our Beijing bureau thinks so. […]
by Sophie Beach | Apr 28, 2007
The Independent reports on a unique attempt to draw tourists: The city of Chongqing in south-west China – the world’s biggest city by some estimates with 32 million people – is planning to build a town dedicated to women in its Shuangqiao district. The municipal motto is “Women are never wrong” and the project will […]
by Sophie Beach | Mar 25, 2007
The Independent reports on renewed interest worldwide in the Chinese legend of The Monkey King, or Sun Wukong: The Monkey King is the main character in “Journey to the West“, a ribald Chinese folk tale by Wu Cheng’en, written more than 500 years ago during the Ming Dynasty and hugely popular ever since. It seems […]
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”