On Eid-al-Fitr, the celebratory conclusion of the Muslim holy month Ramadan, videos of dancing Uyghurs outside of a mosque in Kashgar demonstrated, perhaps counterintuitively, the extent of religious repression in the region....
by Samuel Wade | Aug 28, 2020
A new report from Buzzfeed News identifies 268 new purpose-built detention sites across Xinjiang, detected by cross-referencing areas obscured on Baidu Maps’ satellite view with images from sources not subject to Chinese...
by Grace | Jan 21, 2019
Although the Chinese government has long carried out repressive policies against Xinjiang’s...
by lisbeth | Sep 19, 2018
The Chinese government’s continued denial of the purpose of extralegal re-education camps that are...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 20, 2018
An investigative report by Eva Dou, Jeremy Page, and Josh Chin of the Wall Street Journal has...
by Grace | Dec 9, 2015
In a rare effort to recruit Chinese Muslims, the Islamic State recently released a chant sung...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods