Editor’s Note: As we enter 2022, CDT has compiled a special series of features for our readers, offering a look back at the people, events, controversies, memes and sensitive words that defined the past year. Some of this...
Oct 14, 2021
Former journalist and anti-corruption crusader Luo Changping was detained by police on Hainan Island on October 7, a day after his personal Weibo account was deleted over a post questioning the justification for China’s...
Sep 9, 2021
Chinese internet users have just scored a rare win against censorship. On September 3, the swear word shǎbī 傻逼, politely translated as “dumbass,” was banned from Baidu’s messaging forum Tieba. In the aughts, a mythical creature...
CDT in the News
- U.C. San Diego, 21st Century China Center – The Party Remakes China: What to Watch for After the 20th Party Congress
- NYT – China’s ‘Absurd’ Covid Propaganda Stirs Rebellion
- The Economist – The Prince: Searching for Xi Jinping
- FP – China’s War on History Is Growing
- Coda Story newsletter – Chinese censors working overtime to silence dissent on zero-Covid lockdowns in Xinjiang and Tibet