A Xi Jinping-themed twist on a Chinese Lunar New Year tradition drew incredulous reactions from Twitter users after it was shared by famed dissident Twitter account @whyyoutouzhele. “Lantern riddles” are a staple of the Lantern...
Sep 10, 2017
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
Aug 31, 2016
In the latest edition of the Hoover Institution’s China Leadership Monitor, Alice L. Miller...
Sep 28, 2012
Xinhua reports that the long awaited 18th National Congress of the CCP is to start on November 8th, marking the beginning of China’s once-a-decade leadership transition. The Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee...
Aug 23, 2012
Party Discipline chief He Guoqiang has announced a new five-year plan to rein in corruption, to be implemented after the looming 18th CPC National Congress. From Bloomberg: “The work of constructing a system of punishing and...
Jan 23, 2007
From Financial Times: Economists struggling for a fix on the trajectory of China’s economy this year have focused on traditional drivers of growth, such as exports, investment and even consumer spending. But most have ignored what may be the key propellant pushing output higher – top-level politics, in the form of the impending Communist party […]
CDT in the News
- Journal of Contemporary China – Invented Borders: The Tension Between Grassroots Patriotism and State-led Patriotic Campaigns in China
- NYT – A Tiananmen Square Musical Worries About China’s Glare
- Global Voices – In China, questions remain ahead of Huawei’s launch of the Mate 60 phone series
- Rest of World – Heavily persecuted, highly influential: China’s online feminist revolution
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos