Evergrande offices across China have been beset by protesting retail investors and homeowners concerned that the real estate giant is on the verge of bankruptcy. The company is facing a liquidity crisis and may default on its...
real estate bubble
by Samuel Wade | Sep 8, 2016
Authorities in Shanghai have recently cracked down on rumors of tightening real estate...
by Josh Rudolph | Jun 17, 2014
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 4, 2013
For CBS’ 60 Minutes, Lesley Stahl visits China to investigate the “largest housing bubble in human history” and explore ghost cities, such as Ordos, Inner Mongolia, and housing and shopping developments that...
by Scott Greene | Nov 28, 2011
While Hu Jintao has pledged to boost imports to offset weakening global demand for Chinese exports and the sharpest cutback in in manufacturing since the 2008 financial crisis, a New York Times report warns that other Asian...
by Sophie Beach | Sep 24, 2010
Following is the latest installment in a series of posts by journalist Rachel Beitarie*, who will be sharing with us dispatches from her journey across rural China. In this post, Rachel takes a break from her conversations with...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods