On July 1, the Chinese Communist Party will celebrate the 100th anniversary of its founding. The Party was actually founded on July 23 but the mixup, although acknowledged, has never been rectified—perhaps because the date has a...
by Samuel Wade | Oct 17, 2013
Tuesday marked the 100th anniversary of the birth of Xi Zhongxun, father of current president Xi...
by Sophie Beach | Oct 21, 2005
From the Independent: The Chairman’s image is dangling from the mirror of the taxi that takes me to Mao’s childhood home in Shaoshan in southern China. “He’s my good luck charm,” grins the driver. However surprising this may seem, it certainly appears to be working. Since China’s State Council designated this year as the year […]
by Liu Yong | Jul 14, 2005
From The Scotsman: CHINA is seeking to revive the spirit of the Communist revolution with a “Red Tourism” drive celebrating the hardship endured by Mao Zedong’s followers on the legendary Long March in a network of theme parks. “Wear the clothes of the Red Army! Sing the songs of the Red Army! Eat the food […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods