This May marks the 50th anniversary of the start of China’s Great Proletarian Cultural...
by Cindy | Dec 9, 2015
In a rare effort to recruit Chinese Muslims, the Islamic State recently released a chant sung...
by Sophia Cao | Feb 1, 2009
Banjo player and singer Abigail Washburn, from Illinois, had a chance to go to Chengdu, China, in 1996 and challenged herself to learn Chinese and local operas. Thereafter, she combined the roots of American music with Chinese...
Music Series: “You Owe Me My Wages” and “Migrant Workers’ Blood and Sweat – Asking for Unpaid Wages”
by Sophia Cao | Jan 10, 2009
The following song “You Owe Me My Wages” was composed and sung by Shi Yong, an Internet musician, after he saw many posts about migrant workers asking for their back wages. Shi said that he wanted to stand up for the weak....
by Wu Nan | Mar 6, 2008
A heated online discussion has been sparked by a netizen who calls himself First Genius (首席才子) and posted a video in which he imitates voices of 19 male pop stars from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. This is the second wave of such...
CDT in the News
- DW – Where is Jack Ma? The mainstream media keep slience
- FT – Beijing orders Chinese media to censor coverage of Alibaba probe
- China Heritage – China’s Virus of Lies in 2020
- VOA Chinese – Year 2020 in Review: Xi Jinping steps up crackdown on independent journalists with unprecedented intensity
- Rest of World – Waving goodbye to Weibo