More evidence is accumulating on torture in Xinjiang’s mass internment camps, referred to by the Chinese government as “Vocational Education and Training Centers.” New testimony from a former Chinese police detective and...
by Grace | Dec 18, 2017
Mass disappearances are taking place in Xinjiang as part of an intensive effort spearheaded by...
by Paulina Hartono | Jun 14, 2010
From China Daily: Police across the country have started a massive seven-month crackdown to curb rising crimes and ease escalating social conflicts. Known in Chinese as yanda, or “strike hard,” the campaign is...
by Liu Yong | Dec 28, 2009
From Reuters: A senior Chinese police official has vowed “pre-emptive attacks” against threats to Communist Party control in a speech published days after the nation’s most prominent dissident was jailed for...
by Sophie Beach | Nov 2, 2009
Following the unrest over the summer, the government has launched a “strike hard” campaign in Xinjiang, Reuters reports: Now the regional government is demanding tough action to bring stability back to the region,...
by Xiao Qiang | Jan 26, 2006
From Reuters, via Boston.com: China is preparing to “strike hard” against rising public unrest, a senior police official said according to state media on Thursday, highlighting the government’s fears for stability even as the economy booms.Article Tools An unnamed top official of China’s Ministry of Public Security told a Wednesday meeting that China faced a […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods