CDT is expanding its wiki beyond the Grass-Mud Horse Lexicon to include short biographies of...
by Anne Henochowicz | Apr 11, 2016
As Xi Jinping’s anti-corruption campaign nabs “tigers and flies”—corrupt...
by Anne Henochowicz | May 1, 2013
Yu Jianrong, director of the Rural Development Institute at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, has championed social causes through social media. In 2011, he ran a Weibo campaign in which he asked netizens to post photos of...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 4, 2013
In an essay translated by Jason Todd, professor Yu Jianrong argues that China’s fixation on “stability at all costs” is misguided and unsustainable. He advocates the cultivation of a resilient and dynamic...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 24, 2011
A law professor has threatened Weibo users including Yu Jianrong with legal action for spreading “arbitrarily clipped” video of one of his lectures online. The footage shows him besmirching the honour of female...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 24, 2011
China Media Project has translates an online chat conducted with Chinese Academy of Social Sciences Professor Yu Jianrong about the recent closures of schools for the children of migrant workers: Over the past six months, more...
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms