CDT is expanding its wiki beyond the Grass-Mud Horse Lexicon to include short biographies of...
by Anne Henochowicz | Apr 11, 2016
As Xi Jinping’s anti-corruption campaign nabs “tigers and flies”—corrupt...
by Anne Henochowicz | May 1, 2013
Yu Jianrong, director of the Rural Development Institute at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, has championed social causes through social media. In 2011, he ran a Weibo campaign in which he asked netizens to post photos of...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 4, 2013
In an essay translated by Jason Todd, professor Yu Jianrong argues that China’s fixation on “stability at all costs” is misguided and unsustainable. He advocates the cultivation of a resilient and dynamic...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 24, 2011
A law professor has threatened Weibo users including Yu Jianrong with legal action for spreading “arbitrarily clipped” video of one of his lectures online. The footage shows him besmirching the honour of female...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 24, 2011
China Media Project has translates an online chat conducted with Chinese Academy of Social Sciences Professor Yu Jianrong about the recent closures of schools for the children of migrant workers: Over the past six months, more...
CDT in the News
- VOA – China Media Directives Reveal Granular Detail of State Censorship
- The Jamestown Foundation – Early Warning Brief: Factional Strife Intensifies as Xi Strives to Consolidate Power
- Politico – China’s crypto ban fuels new U.S. wedge issue
- RFA – Meng Wanzhou Arrest, Return Used as Patriotic Talking Point in Chinese Schools
- Colombo Gazette – Digital autocracy in China: An appraisal