Censorship Vault: Beijing Internet Instructions Series (5)
In partnership with the China Copyright and Media blog, CDT is adding the “Beijing Internet Instructions” series to the Censorship Vault. These directives were originally published on Canyu.org (Participate) and date from 2005 to 2007. According to Canyu, the directives were issued by the Beijing Municipal Network Propaganda Management Office and the State Council Internet management departments and provided to to Canyu by insiders. China Copyright and Media has not verified the source.
The translations are by Rogier Creemers of China Copyright and Media.
17 October 2005
I. There are to be no online reports concerning the matter of Guangzhou laborers blocking the road and demanding salaries without exception, already published matters must be immediately removed, communities and forums may not discuss this.
Concerning the Wang Binyu case, without authorization, there is to be no more online reporting, communities and forums may not discuss this.
(1) Websites having news publishing qualifications must timely and correctly transmit the declarations of our country’s government.
(2) Concerning reports on issues involving Japan, websites are only to transmit the corresponding reports and commentaries of the People’s Daily and Xinhua, without permission, no copy from any other source may be used, and especially information from foreign media may not be edited and issued.
(3) Management over forums, news posts, chat rooms, short mobile message information, instant communication groups, etc. must be strengthened, forum posts must be examined first and issued afterwards without exceptions, harmful information of rumor fabrication, rumor dissemination, inciting demonstrations and rallies, organizing signings, attacking the Party and government as well as our foreign policies, etc., is to be deleted without exception.
13 October 2005
The Network Supervision Office today notified: because of the “graduate student” registration work as well as news reports concerning the “adult higher education examination,” etc., many information related to “sharpshooters sitting the exam,” “online question selling,” etc., has emerged in large numbers, websites are requested to strengthen supervision and control on information in this aspect, as soon as it is discovered, report it upwards together with the daily post deletion situation.
11 October 2005
(1) Concerning online reporting requirements on the “Shanghai Dongqian Company Arson Incident.”
Reports concerning the arson incident in the Dongqian Company, Shanghai, must not be played up by any website, do not set up special subjects, forums are also not to discuss this anymore, existing discussions are to be removed without exception. Management over forums and news trackers must be strengthened, discussions that are wantonly accusatory, distorted or inflammatory must be timely deleted.
(2) Concerning instructions on not transmitting two articles on “Tengzhou Seeks to Be Under Provincial Governance.”
All websites may not transmit the two inaccurate articles published by the “Caijing Times” on 7 October, “County Level Is ‘Losing Blood,’ Tengzhou Seeks Provincial Governance” and “How Long Is the Wait for a ‘Provincially-Managed County’?,” already transmitted matters must be removed as soon as possible, it may not be discussed in forums. All websites must strengthen management over forums, and timely block or delete corresponding harmful information.
(3) Concerning instructions on online propaganda on the “Fujian Typhoon Disaster Situation”
Concerning reporting the Fujian typhoon disaster situation, all websites may not play this up, are to use copy from main central and local news work units, and are to handle it as an ordinary news item. Management over forums and news trackers must be strengthened, timely block all sorts of harmful information of rumor fabrication, rumor dissemination, incitement, etc.
Concerning the requirements on online reporting of the “Especially Large Fire on 2 October in Some Armed Police Camp in Fujian,” all websites are only to use Xinhua copy, it is strictly prohibited to use information from any other source, do not set up news trackers, forums may not discuss this. Management must be further strengthened, timely block up and delete rumors, inciting organizations to “appeal” and all other sorts of harmful information.
11 October 2005
Focus points for supervision and control this week:
(1) All online comments aimed at the 10th National Games, the 5th Asia-Pacific City Mayor Summit and the Second China-ASEAN Exhibition, as well as information all sorts of mass incidents, sudden incidents and other matters influencing social stability during those times.
(2) Domestic and foreign online information related to the Chongqing Special Steel labor strike incident, the rights defense incident of the Chongqing Special Steel laborers, the case of the Shanbei People-Run Oil case and all other rights defense activities and mass-type incidents.
(3) All sorts of online comments aimed at the 5th Plenum of the 16th Party Congress and all sorts of information during that time on mass incidents, sudden incidents and other information influencing social stability.
(4) Domestic and foreign information playing up the Guangdong Taishi village case.
(5) Domestic and foreign information on activities and persons related to Japan’s preserving the Diaoyu islands.
6 October 2005
Delete the article titled “Police Chase Police to Kill Them–Only Because Reporting that the Police Commissioner Supports Mistress Police Officer,” its content is that officer Xu Jian from the Qinhuangdao City Public Security Bureau Port Office’s Second Criminal Section, because the wife of the Public Security Bureau Commissioner let him kill a mistress police officer supported by the Commissioner, reported this to the relevant provincial authorities after refusing.
5 October 2005
Everyone: on the case of relevant personnel of Beiqing Media being arrested, only report copy from central focus websites, do not let it on website main pages, do not issue it in the important news section, do not create special subjects, corresponding links, short messages or trackers, forums are not to discuss this.
3 October 2005
Everyone: Camp 1 of the Fujian Armed Police is destroyed by a typhoon, a number of personnel is missing, all websites are to use Xinhua copy without exception: auditing departments announced the auditing report results of 32 departments, report the vigorous reform situation of all work units more. Also, on 4 October, on 12:29, information is received: trackers must examine first and post later, and only positive discussion can be issues, forums are to be strictly managed.
These translated directives were first posted by Rogier Creemers on China Copyright and Media on November 12, 2012 (here).