April 9, 2014 3:35 PM
activism activists artists asylum Barack Obama black jails Bo Xilai CCP Chen Guangcheng Chinese lawyers Christianity civil society corruption courts detention Ding Jiaxi dissidents drug safety education environmental protests Falun Gong financial disclosure food safety forced abortions Foxconn Gao Zhisheng Geremie R. Barmé global financial crisis Guangdong homeless Hu Jintao hukou human rights activists human rights conditions human rights watch Hunan illegal dententions lawyers New Citizens Movement protests rights lawyers rule of law Teng Biao torture trials U.S. relations wang gongquan Xi Jinping Xu Zhiyong Xu Zhiyong trial 2014
April 11, 2014 9:54 PM
Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have called for an official investigation into four lawyers’ claims that they were tortured
At Dissent Magazine Nicholas Cavell reports on imprisoned lawyer and civil rights activist Xu Zhiyong’s “powerful” closing
February 21, 2014 8:32 PM
While she writes in an autobiographical essay that she was born in 1972 in Hunan as a “peasant’s child” and received “a
February 6, 2014 10:56 AM
- Who is Xu Zhiyong?
- China Puts Two More Activists on Trial
- Security and ‘Strong-Arm Tactics’...
- Crackdown on Speech Culminates in Activist Tr...
- Xu Zhiyong to Protest Procedural Flaws in Upc...
- On Constitution Day, Lawyers Attacked Outside...
- Teng Biao Urges China to Follow Its Own Laws
- Chen Guangcheng’s Family To Visit New Y...
- Executed Hawker’s Son Accused of Copying
- Teng Biao: Confessions of a Reactionary
- The Precarious Lives of China’s Rights ...
- Chen Guangcheng: Reform Hopes “Wishful ...
- Imprisoned Rights Lawyer Allowed Family Visit
- The Five Vermin Threatening China
- Foxconn Entangled in Labor Rights Inquiries
- Cross-Talk Comics: Killing the Messenger