Nearly 200 students at a school in northeastern China have been hospitalized, apparently with food poisoning, after eating in the facility’s cafeteria, state media said Thursday.
If confirmed, the case would add to a string of mass food poisoning cases at Chinese schools in recent weeks.
A total of 171 students from the Qiqihar Medical School in Heilongjiang province suffered nausea and vomiting shortly after eating dinner in the cafeteria Wednesday night, the official Xinhua News Agency said. [Full Text]
The story follows a rash of food poisoning reports in the Chinese media over the last month: ” More than 200 Junior Middle Students Get Food Poisoning in Shannxi Hengshan” from Huashang Newspaper on Sept. 19th, “88 Students Get Food Poisoning in Huozhou” from the Shanxi Evening Post on Sept. 17th, and “Over 300 Elenmentary School Students Have Food Poisoning in Sichuan Chong Shi” from Xinhua on Sept. 3rd.
China Dialogue also recently came out with a detailed, multi-part look at the dangers of the Chinese food industry.