In recent weeks, Tibet-focused media outlets have reported that Tsewang Norbu, a popular young singer, died after self-immolating in front of the Potala Palace in Lhasa. CDT was unable to independently confirm the reports and...
Nov 2, 2021
Minority languages in China are increasingly under threat. Over the past week, the language learning app Talkmate and the online video streaming site Bilibili appeared to remove Tibetan and Uyghur languages from their platforms...
Jan 21, 2019
Although the Chinese government has long carried out repressive policies against Xinjiang’s...
Sep 2, 2014
After reports on an official campaign encouraging marriage between ethnic Tibetans and Han in the...
May 23, 2009
Uighur children at an orphanage in Urumqi, Xinjiang Province, are renamed with Han Chinese names and disciplined for adhering to a Muslim diet. Radio Free Asia reports: Children belonging to the ethnic Uyghur minority at an...
Nov 30, 2006
From IPS: The evening light dances on the glazed pink tiles of the shapely buildings around the ancient Idkah mosque and in the enfolding dusk the site evokes tales from the ‘One thousand and one nights’. But the illusion is fleeting — none of the buildings in this spot, except for the revered mosque, is […]
CDT in the News
- South China Sea Chronicle Initiative (Vietnamese translation of CDT post)- Sự Bất Đối Xứng Trong Quan Hệ Nga-Trung Và Bên Hưởng Lợi
- Discourse Power – Jan. 23, 2023 Newsletter
- Sinocism newsletter (1/18/2023) – Xi’s Spring Festival video chat; Han Zheng to be the next VP?; Janet Yellen and Liu He meet; Wow mess
- The Economist (Drum Tower newsletter) – What our journalists are reading
- RFA – China slaps exit ban on wife of shuttered Shanghai political bookstore owner