In his in-depth profile of Chinese president Xi Jinping at The New Yorker this week, Evan Osnos...
by Anne Henochowicz | May 22, 2013
The Word of the Week comes from China Digital Space’s Grass-Mud Horse Lexicon, a glossary of terms created by Chinese netizens and frequently encountered in online political discussions. These are the words of China’s online...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 6, 2012
US ambassador to China Gary Locke has once again made headlines with his customary frugality, flying coach to the Boao Forum on Hainan and declining to stay at the conference’s official hotel, whose room prices were triple...
by Melissa M. Chan | Apr 1, 2012
Vietnam is again asking China for the release of 21 detained fishermen that were arrested for fishing near the Paracel Islands. This region is in the disputed South China Sea. Bloomberg reports: Deputy Prime Minister Hoang Trung...
by cschultz | Apr 18, 2009
At the annual Boao Forum held on Hainan island, during a discussion on censorship, movies and society, Jackie Chan stated “we Chinese need to be controlled”: “I’m not sure if it’s good to have...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods